Athletes face a multitude of challenges, such as the internal pressure to win, living up to unreasonable external expectations, temptations to find or succumb to taking shortcuts or even cheating, unhealthy body image, coming back from injury, staying injury-free, or trying to land an important scholarship. It can be just as difficult for coaches to manage this array of challenges as it is for athletes. In this course, you will be reminded of these challenges and equipped with techniques to help your athletes overcome these issues and identify positive, healthy solutions. You will also learn how to create, build, and cultivate a personalized coaching philosophy, employ decision-making strategies and quality coaching methods to navigate difficult situations with athletes and parents, understand the principles of what makes a TrueSport team culture, and put the TrueSport Coach Code of Conduct into practice.
During the exploration of the module, you will learn to:
- Develop a set of ethical guidelines for your coaching practice that are mindful of the moral development of your athletes.
- Identify your coaching ‘why’ and develop your own coaching philosophy.
- Employ ethical coaching methods based on personal moral principles.
- Foster and facilitate sportsmanship and ethical behavior in your athletes.
- Employ decision-making strategies and quality coaching methods to navigate difficult situations with athletes and parents.
- Define the principles of a TrueSport Team Culture.
- Explain how to put the TrueSport Coach Code of Conduct into practice.
- Recognize the importance of using effective communication with parents and athletes.
Seat time: Approximately 25 minutes of seat time, plus the time needed to complete the activities in the digital workbook. The learning path for this course includes a pre-course questionnaire, course, and post-course questionnaire.
Evaluation: You will be evaluated on the assignments within the module through knowledge check points and a course summary quiz. You will be required to submit the digital workbook and score at least 80% on the summary quiz to successfully complete the module.
TrueSport Coaching Field Experience (optional): Complete all four TrueSport Coaching Education Program online modules as a pre-requisite to completing the TrueSport Coaching Field Experience. Field Experience materials are included with all course registrations.
Explore the other courses in the TrueSport Coaching Education Program.
The TrueSport Coaching Modules have received recognition from the U.S. Center for Coaching Excellence for alignment with the National Standards for Sport Coaches (Ethical Practices).